Arun K. Tangirala holds a PhD from the University of Alberta and a B. Tech. from IIT Madras. He is currently a Professor at the Dept. of Chemical Engineering, IIT Madras and has a teaching-research experience of nearly 20 years. Prof. Tangirala specializes in Process Systems Engineering and Applied Data Science with applications to fields of engineering, biology and climate science. He is a recipient of teaching and research awards and has been invited as Visiting Faculty at leading international institutions. He is also the author of a comprehensive text on “Principles of System Identification” – a standard reference worldwide for building data-driven models. Prof. Tangirala is currently the Editor-in-Chief of Institution of Engineers India Journal: Series E, Associate Editor of ASME Journal of Dynamical Systems, Measurements and Control, and an Associate Editor of the Control Engineering Practice Journal. He has guided 8 PhD, 20 Masters students and has taught several outreach educational programs including MOOC and short-term workshops. He currently serves as the Chief-Coordinator, SWAYAM Prabha – Phase II, a National project under the NMEICT initiative of Ministry of Education, India.
1. Young Faculty Recognition Award, IIT Madras
2. Institute Research and Development Award, IIT Madras
3. August-Wilherm-Scheer Visiting Professor Award, Germany
4. Leonard E. Gads Teaching Award, University of Alberta
Expertise with Education:
1. Chief Co-ordinator, SWAYAM Prabha, NMEICT, Ministry of Education
2. Chairman, Vana Vani Matriculation Higher Secondary School, IIT Madras, 2015-2021
3. M. Tech. Program Co-ordinator, Dept. of Chemical Engineering, IIT Madras
4. Member, Board of Academic Courses, IIT Madras, 2008-2011
Member, Board of Studies, PSG College of Technology, 2018-Present
Institute for Academic Excellence
#3-6-692, Street No.12, Himayathnagar,
Hyderabad - 500029, Telangana.